Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The little engine that could

My car broke down on Saturday after a very hard day working my little butt off to earn a crust. It was 10pm and my Knight in shining tracky pants (shining?) was sitting next to me in said vehicle chuckling to himself. Thanks mate :-).  Got home at midnight stopping ont way to purchase Hazelnut Choc and Pizza shapes (the wine was already back at the house). Strange experience, a young girl looking at me through a gap in a small window using sign language to tell me "NO, WE HAVE NOOOO PRINGLES".."SORRRY, DO YOU HAVE NONE?", "NO, NO PRINGLES" "AH THEN PIZZA SHAPES?" "YES YES"  then she promptly went off like a food valet and got me my junk. Debiting my account through a little trench like metal ski slope counter thingy and snatching the little machine back before I had a chance to grab her hand and pull her through the bullet proof window... is Mona Vale really that dangerous at 11pm on a Saturday? I imagine all the frivolity and trouble would be INSIDE until about midnight when it pours out on to the street.

So my wages went to the burly NRMA guy who was very business-like and to the point. He should have had "No messing" tattoo'd on his forehead. 7 feet tall and built like a very sturdy building, he made me feel strangely and very hastily "saved" :-) Saved from myself was the way he approached me, I think he expected my high beams, radio and air con to be on and exclaim "and you thought your lil battery would be ok with that?". However, they were not and I am still baffled as to why there was a distinct lack of power for the little engine that could is purring along happily 4 days later.

Getting home was a little bit of a haze. My friend I am certain was enchanted by my very loud sing song to Kelly Clarkson (it was on the radio, calm down) with the windows down to maintain a wakeful state. The three creatures went mildly insane when we got in bounding and tap dancing around the kitchen. We still maintain Phoebe should have tap shoes on as she'd make an absolute killing down at Circular Quay and really isn't it time they "gave back" to their mum for all the vet bills, food, denta-bones and endless walking :-)

We sat down and demolished the wine, shapes and chocolate, then I tiptoed off to my bed and collapsed in a heap of creatures (they go where I go).

There is more I hear you say? Absolutely, this a splendid tale of upheaval, exhaustion, frustration and indulgence. I woke up at 6.30am with a meowing Siamese very close to my face. My Alien cat has a very strong pair of lungs with an ability to maintain meows for many hours with no interval. I fed him to shut him up (an act which is becoming increasingly disturbing as he gets more rotund). The other two creatures, excited at a brand new day naturally wished to visit the courtyard so they were granted exit. Bleary eyed and shell-shocked from the events the day before, I didn't notice the Alien slip past me and out. Now if you've read previous posts, you will know that he has stitches. He is not permitted exit at present, code red, stumbling around ,dollar signs flashing before my eyes, I ran after him around the courtyard in my smalls, managed to grab him and turned around just in time to watch my front door slam shut...the Alien cat has now cost me a fortune, made me work harder and locked me out of my flat in my underwear at 7am. Vinny cat, oh how I love thee.

No windows were open, this is because I am a girl who lives alone and needs some security ( I say alone, I'm never REALLY alone in my house).I began rapping (gently tapping, love that poem) on the door, windows, grappling with a wriggling, very impatient moggy, circling the entire building and wondering if one of my neighbours may catch me and make my day even more interesting and diverse. At this point my friend who had stayed after the junk food and wine emerged from the spare room and opened my lovely old rustic front door. He immediately congratulated me on yet another moment of mayhem....grinning but cursing lightly under my breath I wandered off back to bed...

Next week I'm taking Vinny back to the vet for the fourth time, they really like him...


No comments:

Post a Comment