Thursday, March 22, 2012

Apple Crumble

"No you have to plug in the keyboard" My laptop doesn't work properly, I spilt red wine on it nearly a year and a half ago and so it has all kinds of trouble with ..um...well..functioning.... So you can't use the keyboard but I do have an external one. I used to have an Apple one to match the lil mac donated generously by a nice housemate/landlord but I broke it, I believe possibly with more wine. I don't like wasting wine. Especially crumbling Apple products before my eyes.

Shortly after that incident, having acquired the crappy keyboard I managed to drop my iPhone 3 in the toilet. Frantically trying to switch it on whilst still moist I'm told is what REALLY broke it. Not being totally submerged in water. Moist is an uncomfortable word isn't it? Apt for this situation I feel. Next time I'll do the unlikely thing and put it in a box of rice for 24 hours or maybe put banana peel and orange peel in the box with it and seal it (no hang on, that's tea).

So watching "Amelie" on my laptop t'other night with a friend proved a source of frustration and now in reflection a great source of hilarity for me :-) My boss from my second job bought me an iTunes voucher for Christmas. Terribly nice of them and so I bought Amelie.

I plugged the laptop in. Oh did I not mention that you have to plug it in because otherwise it doesn't work. The battery is out of battery. Then I tried to start the movie. Failure to launch spectacularly stating that there was an iTunes fatal error. Luckily I had an IT savvy youngster with me who proclaimed "You have Quicktime" you can play it on that, just right click on the file"...Um you can't right click on my Mac because the little finger swipey pad thingey doesn't work.............errrrrm...........

I stared at it for a few minutes (it's the same stare as when you get home with a kit from IKEA to assemble a piece of furniture) .Ah! Eureka! Go to file and click on it and "Play with"...we have lift off! I'm a bit tired and so are you but we wanted to watch it so here we go...

I love my dogs so very much but my collie does have explosions of minor panic and does occasionally run through my room to find his "safe corner" to my right. A beautiful yet very neurotic dog whom I have boundless patience and affection for. So the credits are finally rolling and I settle back into a comfy position to watch this fabulous film and he decides the world is a dangerous and entirely frightening place, goes to his safety corner and pulls the plug out...you remember the 'puter doesn't work like that...blackness. I tell him everything is going to be ok.

Looking at each other with utter sleepy resignation that I have a beautiful Mac which I have managed to completely screw up in almost every way possible and I plugged it back in,waited ten minutes for it to make that hopeful Apple opening sound, saw it wake up, closed Skype (I have inadvertently set Skype up to open on start, I REALLY don't want it to but I don't know how to fix it) and opened up Finder, Library, iTunes, Music, Movies, Amelie phew!

Pressed File, Quicktime, pressed PLAY and promptly fell asleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment