The little alien that lives with me and periodically chats nonsensically about his life using the great art of Siamese Wailing gets hurt...a lot...all the time. To the point where I no longer add the sum of vet bills because I'd start drinking gin at 6am instead of going jogging. Hang on, gin's expensive and jogging is free,,,
The million $ dog is sitting at my feet, she's got gold teeth and a diamond on a chain round her neck, it glistens as I narrow my eyes, sqinting jewels into existence. She's doing her bit for our family, turning tricks at the end of our long driveway in the trees. No she isn't is she...she's a dog...
I oftentimes have been heard to say that my life is an epic comedy. Most of which in the past has been of my own creation but as I sit here just before I head off to work again, having eaten the rationed cereal, thinking about homemade soup again for dinner (HUGE batch in the fridge) and holding my failed attempt at pet insurance in my hand, I can't help but feel a little overwhelmed...
My three creatures are without a doubt the biggest asset I have emotionally and the biggest liability financially. For those of us who "made some bad decisions" in our 20's (I stand by them all :))) and ended up alone with responsibilities beyond our financial capacity it is an unfolding tale of crazy. The solution of "giving them away" would be tantamount to severing my own arms, such is the large and magical role they play in my life. Plus, having been involved in animal welfare for just over 12 years, my phrasing is thus "see them through to the last and love them with every fibre". You see where I come unstuck ( and the "U" on the keyboard is sticky too but I'll suck that uuuuup)
We have had broken limbs, tick paralysis, twisted stomachs and hip replacements and now we're onto kidney failure and bad liver function....my teeth hurt a bit but we all need dentals so hey may have to "suck that up" too...literally. I'll be the youngest toothless woman...maybe that would be lucrative...
....but Phoebe tick paralysis kidney liver failure dog greets me when I get home like I've been away an eternity and kicks people in the leg when they irritate me, Zundy "fishy breath, I need a dental mum" collie dog sits at the end of the kitchen waiting for me in a perfect sit and then melodically howls and chants at me gleefully every single day and Vinny "alien cat" (who will be taking over the world and does have a spaceship) is receptive to my conversations with him, going back and forth telling me about adventures where he is possibly mortally wounded daily by lace monitors or barbed wire and attacks my legs with precision if he feels hungry. This cat taps me gently in the face with no claws at 5.30am every day...failing that he has a seasoned wake up strategy..."I'll just jump on this, you know the thing you don't want me to jump on..." I love them wholeheartedly and they me.
I Know my animal welfare comrades of old will get all this.
The million $ dog is sitting at my feet, she's got gold teeth and a diamond on a chain round her neck, it glistens as I narrow my eyes, sqinting jewels into existence. She's doing her bit for our family, turning tricks at the end of our long driveway in the trees. No she isn't is she...she's a dog...
I oftentimes have been heard to say that my life is an epic comedy. Most of which in the past has been of my own creation but as I sit here just before I head off to work again, having eaten the rationed cereal, thinking about homemade soup again for dinner (HUGE batch in the fridge) and holding my failed attempt at pet insurance in my hand, I can't help but feel a little overwhelmed...
My three creatures are without a doubt the biggest asset I have emotionally and the biggest liability financially. For those of us who "made some bad decisions" in our 20's (I stand by them all :))) and ended up alone with responsibilities beyond our financial capacity it is an unfolding tale of crazy. The solution of "giving them away" would be tantamount to severing my own arms, such is the large and magical role they play in my life. Plus, having been involved in animal welfare for just over 12 years, my phrasing is thus "see them through to the last and love them with every fibre". You see where I come unstuck ( and the "U" on the keyboard is sticky too but I'll suck that uuuuup)
We have had broken limbs, tick paralysis, twisted stomachs and hip replacements and now we're onto kidney failure and bad liver function....my teeth hurt a bit but we all need dentals so hey may have to "suck that up" too...literally. I'll be the youngest toothless woman...maybe that would be lucrative...
....but Phoebe tick paralysis kidney liver failure dog greets me when I get home like I've been away an eternity and kicks people in the leg when they irritate me, Zundy "fishy breath, I need a dental mum" collie dog sits at the end of the kitchen waiting for me in a perfect sit and then melodically howls and chants at me gleefully every single day and Vinny "alien cat" (who will be taking over the world and does have a spaceship) is receptive to my conversations with him, going back and forth telling me about adventures where he is possibly mortally wounded daily by lace monitors or barbed wire and attacks my legs with precision if he feels hungry. This cat taps me gently in the face with no claws at 5.30am every day...failing that he has a seasoned wake up strategy..."I'll just jump on this, you know the thing you don't want me to jump on..." I love them wholeheartedly and they me.
I Know my animal welfare comrades of old will get all this.
No comments:
Post a Comment