I got knocked out by a soay sheep once, they have horns...here's a pic
I fell backwards into the arms of one of the other crazy "bitches" (in 'the hood' sense ladies, don't take it the wrong way) who ran around all day after rather medium to large animals. Sheep, pigs, horses, goats, you name it, we catapulted over fencing and got hurt allll the time :) 'twas a right of passage.
To be one of the four of us was an honour, this was no ordinary job and I LOVED it.
We worked at an animal shelter on the "Field Section".
For me "Field Section" is almost like a famous phrase in my mind. I expect people when I tell them to nod in recognition, "oh the FIELD SECTION, wow...amazing! So you're the girls who did five bar gate flips and restled with llamas? I know you!" chortle chortle, seriously, best job in the whole world.
So I was laying on the floor, a football sized bump on my noggin and my nearest amigo peers at it, reels back in horror, hand clasped over her mouth and then calmly says "it' not that bad". Oh you jest lady! I could make another head if I had a marker pen!
Hospital was rather laughable, my boss (also my bestie) came with and we were attended to by a bit of a dish if you will. Upon being asked by the dishy doctor what happened I very much enjoyed saying "I got hit in the head by a sheep", he asked three times (obviously, having severe concussion makes one delirious enough to conjure a sheep up), we left with "is the sheep ok?" pahahaha, haven't heard that one before...ringing in my broken head. The sheep was ok.
It's a time in my life I'll never forget. I had three amazing girls to work with and we are all still in touch ten years on. That kind of environment where you're together all day long going through animal welfare triumphs and losses, hugging when it goes well, crying together when there's nothing to be done, well it makes for incomparable bonds. I am a lucky lucky girl to have had that in my life, it really has affected all the rest of what makes me "Carla Bird", one of the amigos even gave me the nickname "Bird" and I use it for everything. Hats off Nikki Bird, Leanne Bird and Sarah Bird x
One such person who I know "gets" this nimal welfare thing is a girl called Juliette (Jules) and she still works in the "Cat Section". I don't know her very well but we used to chat randomly and she's a gorgeous soul with a huge heart. She recently signed up for Twitter and ever so shakily ( a bit Bambi-esque) is tweeting under her band's drumming name. She's the drummer for Beverley Kills, a four piece punk band, all chicks and all "rockin' out" quite nicely thank you! You'll find their album cover artwork in "Polaroids" and their video in "Music Box". I especially like the way they began, two gals drunk on cider talking about their "dream" of starting a punk rock band, then quite quickly graduating to three cider drunk gals putting the ideas down on paper (man I wish I coulda been a fly ont wall in that room, I can imagine raucous cider ramblings and arm wrestling) and then finally just going ahead and making it happen, well dudes you did it!
If anyone is sitting on their jacks "thinking" about it, what the hell are you waiting for? Take some inspiration from these four and do what makes you punkhappy.
Let's face it, cider has to be the drink of choice if you're gonna be punking out. A good mate of mine used to drink cider and black (blackcurrant cordial), classy Tabby, real classy. There will be a blog about her one day, gothic punky 17 year old I used to watch "The Crow" with on loop :-) ...another story...
Miss J, thanks for making me recall a magical time in my life. You're a dedicated lady both inside animal welfare and musically and I know you girls have got quite a following over there in Cambridge. I tip my cap and raise my double chocolate stout to you:
Jules, Georgie, Elisa and Kate who together make up BEVERLEY KILLS, and of course...CIDER AND CATS x
"Need you all the time" - Beverley Kills
LOVEbird xxx
I fell backwards into the arms of one of the other crazy "bitches" (in 'the hood' sense ladies, don't take it the wrong way) who ran around all day after rather medium to large animals. Sheep, pigs, horses, goats, you name it, we catapulted over fencing and got hurt allll the time :) 'twas a right of passage.
To be one of the four of us was an honour, this was no ordinary job and I LOVED it.
We worked at an animal shelter on the "Field Section".
For me "Field Section" is almost like a famous phrase in my mind. I expect people when I tell them to nod in recognition, "oh the FIELD SECTION, wow...amazing! So you're the girls who did five bar gate flips and restled with llamas? I know you!" chortle chortle, seriously, best job in the whole world.
So I was laying on the floor, a football sized bump on my noggin and my nearest amigo peers at it, reels back in horror, hand clasped over her mouth and then calmly says "it' not that bad". Oh you jest lady! I could make another head if I had a marker pen!
Hospital was rather laughable, my boss (also my bestie) came with and we were attended to by a bit of a dish if you will. Upon being asked by the dishy doctor what happened I very much enjoyed saying "I got hit in the head by a sheep", he asked three times (obviously, having severe concussion makes one delirious enough to conjure a sheep up), we left with "is the sheep ok?" pahahaha, haven't heard that one before...ringing in my broken head. The sheep was ok.
It's a time in my life I'll never forget. I had three amazing girls to work with and we are all still in touch ten years on. That kind of environment where you're together all day long going through animal welfare triumphs and losses, hugging when it goes well, crying together when there's nothing to be done, well it makes for incomparable bonds. I am a lucky lucky girl to have had that in my life, it really has affected all the rest of what makes me "Carla Bird", one of the amigos even gave me the nickname "Bird" and I use it for everything. Hats off Nikki Bird, Leanne Bird and Sarah Bird x
One such person who I know "gets" this nimal welfare thing is a girl called Juliette (Jules) and she still works in the "Cat Section". I don't know her very well but we used to chat randomly and she's a gorgeous soul with a huge heart. She recently signed up for Twitter and ever so shakily ( a bit Bambi-esque) is tweeting under her band's drumming name. She's the drummer for Beverley Kills, a four piece punk band, all chicks and all "rockin' out" quite nicely thank you! You'll find their album cover artwork in "Polaroids" and their video in "Music Box". I especially like the way they began, two gals drunk on cider talking about their "dream" of starting a punk rock band, then quite quickly graduating to three cider drunk gals putting the ideas down on paper (man I wish I coulda been a fly ont wall in that room, I can imagine raucous cider ramblings and arm wrestling) and then finally just going ahead and making it happen, well dudes you did it!
If anyone is sitting on their jacks "thinking" about it, what the hell are you waiting for? Take some inspiration from these four and do what makes you punkhappy.
Let's face it, cider has to be the drink of choice if you're gonna be punking out. A good mate of mine used to drink cider and black (blackcurrant cordial), classy Tabby, real classy. There will be a blog about her one day, gothic punky 17 year old I used to watch "The Crow" with on loop :-) ...another story...
Miss J, thanks for making me recall a magical time in my life. You're a dedicated lady both inside animal welfare and musically and I know you girls have got quite a following over there in Cambridge. I tip my cap and raise my double chocolate stout to you:
Jules, Georgie, Elisa and Kate who together make up BEVERLEY KILLS, and of course...CIDER AND CATS x
"Need you all the time" - Beverley Kills
LOVEbird xxx


No comments:
Post a Comment